The region's economy
Huddersfield has one of the largest economies within the Leeds City Region and is home to a satisfying mix of world-leading organisations and smaller creative businesses.
Yet the cost of living remains relatively low, making Huddersfield and surrounding towns desirable locations for businesses and individuals alike.
- Huddersfield is an integral part of the Leeds City Region, the majority of which is within a 1-hour drive
- As a single economic unit, Leeds City Region has a population of 2.9 million, a labour force in excess of 1.3 million and an annual economy of £52bn
- The area's economy is worth £5.75bn. GVA (Gross Value Added) is projected to increase by 37%, equivalent to £2bn, by 2026
- We have the third largest manufacturing employment base in the country (behind Birmingham and Leeds) with 30,300 jobs
- A total of 13,930 employers are based within the Huddersfield area, employing 150,200 individuals
- The area is in the top ten locations for the number of residents in work - with 186,200 residents in work
- There are 2,300 businesses in the creative and digital sector within the area.